Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Wardrobe Architect: Worksheet 2

perhaps an unknown start to my style from Rome 2011...

Defining Your Core Style

This week's exercise was about taking all the answers from the last excercise and boiling them down to a few words and images. I thought this would be pretty easy since I thought I had really narrowed it down with the last exercise, but I was (again) wrong.

I put together a list of words that defined my style. This list grew to about 20 words. Out of those words I could only choose 3-5 to really hone it in. This was the challenge. There were words that I wanted, but when I really thought about them they didn't really encapsulate what I meant. For example, I wanted a word to explain my love for the quality, quirky, uniqueness and charm of vintage. Going with "quirky" didn't cut it, since that word on its own implied (to me, at least) that my style is a bit funky and out-of-the-box, which it is not. "Quality" would work, as in workmanship and materials, yet isn't what I wanted either. The words "couture" and "luxe" were tested, but eventually thrown out since they implied (again, to me) a bit too high fashion than I want to convey. See? Tricky.

So, finally after much deliberation and waffling, then finally a firm decision, here are my final 5 words.

Classic: tailored, fitted and classic lines
Preppy: collegiate, borderline nerdy, with that classic New England touch
Feminine: soft and romantic, yet with some sensual undertones
Cozy: something warm—whether colors or mood
Vintage: inspiration from the details and styling from 1920-1960's


Armed with these words and images, I feel like I am starting to find a momentum and I am excited about the next step—shapes! Yay! I think I know where I am heading, and I like it. That is important, right? I want to be excited about getting dressed in the morning and about the clothes that hang in my closet. I know it is still really early (this is only step 2 of 14!), but I am motivated, committed *and* eager. I am taking this as a good sign.

Do you know your own core style? Or are you muddling around like me, yet slowly finding your way? Or are you still lost out in the sea of overwhelming fashion choices? There is just so much pretty out there!

Ciao ciao!

2 comments:

  1. I love your five words and would totally steal them for my own! Seriously resonated with me. All those inspiration photos are great too. I think I have an idea of my core style, getting there slowly. :) I find I need to be more sure of myself and stick to my guns when I see other bloggers working other styles (I end up thinking, should I be dressing more like that?). It's nice to get inspiration from others, but really honing in on what you love and making those things definitely equates to more happiness all around. And as we head into the colder months I really do need to find reasons to get out of bed in the morning! I only wish I could sew faster...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome to those same words! And I absolutely hear you on getting lost sometimes by the styles of others that you admire. But I think this exercise really helped so far in making me realize that some things, as great as they are on some people, just wouldn't feel...me :)

      That would totally be my superpower: to sew like the wind! Haha!

      Delete